This is just a brief introduction addressing a few questions that I am often asked. I don't have all the answers and I am quite ok with that, what I do know is the knowledge I have acquired over the 8 years of shooting I want to share it! So let's jump into it, how many of you out there like photography, how many of you love photography? Photography comes seemingly easy, think about how inexpensive it is to go out and buy an entry level DSLR. Now that you have your new camera it is off to the races right? Well for some this maybe true however, it is one facet to get into photography and another to actually sustain it. I've learned this along my journey, speaking of journeys check out my blog post “The Journey” http://lorenzopphotography.com/new-blog/2014/4/28/8ai6utp1dzvk3w6p8l584wjz9690ri
There is a lot of administrative work that goes into photography, there is what I consider to be an "80/20" rule here is a simple break down, 80% goes into managing what is you do if for example marketing, attracting clients, social media presence, email engagement, retouching, producing and selling products, there is a considerable amount of time that will be divided among these sectors. The other 20% goes into shooting. I know its sounds depressing especially for someone who loves to shoot. But if you really want to get a hand on things you need to understand and adopt this Concept.
Photography is a vast market when I mean vast it’s big, here are a few categories.
Identify what is appealing to you, where do you fall in line? Becoming familiar with the fundamentals is highly critical to your development. When you build on shaky grounds you are very likely to fall, when your foundation is strong you are able to withstand those challenging times. I want to share a few pointers!
Remind yourself of the "80/20" rule, and do not forget it.
Invest more time and financing into studying & research.
Legal/Documentations- model releases, agreements, contracts.
Liability/protection- cover your clients & gear.
Accounting/Management- smart investing, keep track of billing & what you spend.
Diligence/Patients- consistently work on being the the best at what you do, keep in mind being great takes time.
Mastering- your style & workflow.
Anticipation- apart of being a great photographer is anticipating things that can potentially go wrong.
If you plan on turning your passion into a career I think a great starting place will be to:
1.Be passionate: When your passionate about something you are good at, it makes it that much more desirable to do.
2.Hone in on your niche: What is it that you do best?
3.Define who you are as a photographer: Establishment (be known for something)
5.Get familiar with your market: know who is doing what.
6.Build your network and use it: Always refer to the people who you can rely on and trust to give you honest feedback. Engage with your community (Your network is your net-worth)
7. Learn from the masters: I can not emphasize this enough!
Books I would strongly consider reading:
“ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography”
“The Photographer’s Guide to Negotiating”
“The Photographer’s Survival Guide”
“The Digital Photography Book”
“The Moment it Clicks”
There are a ton photography related books out there believe me some are captivating on the contrary, some are not the most exciting but you will ultimately gain a wealth of knowledge resulting in you being a well rounded photographer. If you can effectively manage to do these things I think you are on the right path. I hope this post serve as a reference point and a source of inspiration to make your passion consistent to what you want it to be.
If you find this material useful please share it with your family and friends, this helps us all out a great deal. God Bless and Good Luck!!